SEND CODE OF PRACTICE 0 – 25 – What is the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years? 

The SEND Code of Practice is statutory guidance for organisations that work with and support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. … Local authorities – education, social care, relevant housing, employment and other services 

Useful Links: 
SEND Code of Practice 0 – 25 – DfE Website 

  1. What kinds of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) does the college make provision for? 

The Hive College is located in Perry Common Road, Erdington in the North of Birmingham. It caters for students aged 19-25 years who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). We have outstanding purpose built facilities and highly trained, enthusiastic and committed staff. This combination enables us to provide the specialised individual programmes required by our students. 

Our Study Programmes: 

LIVE focuses on a vocational programme preparing students for employment. 

STRIVE focuses on a sensory programme for our students with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD), helping them to make choices and participate in their local communities. 

THRIVE focuses on a vocational programme preparing students for volunteering roles and communication skills, so that they can access their local communities. 

The teaching methods and strategies we use aim to address our students’ individual needs and abilities and ensure that they are prepared for adulthood when they leave the college. 

In order to meet the specific needs of our students, the college offers a range of support to ensure that any barriers to learning are reduced. These include: 

  • Smaller class sizes – our classes currently operate at 10-12 students 
  • High adult to student ratios – teaching assistants work closely with the students in class 
  • Personalised targets for students known as Individual Learning Plans 
  • Differentiated tasks and activities to meet the physical and cognitive ability of the students 
  • Use of Assistive Technology within the classroom and out in the workplace and community 
  • External agency therapist work including Speech and Language, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Music Therapy and Aromatherapy 
  • Bespoke interventions for students in core subjects 
  • A dedicated care team to support the personal needs of students 
  • A dedicated nursing teaming that supports students with the administration of medication / interventions 
  • Ongoing CPD for staff 

In order to measure the impact of the curriculum on the students learning, we: 

  • Conduct annual reviews 
  • Review EHCPs 
  • Set and monitor targets and track progression 
  • Collate evidence using the Evidence for Learning App 
  1. How does the college identify and assess Special Educational Needs? 

All students must have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP), which clearly states what their needs are. 

  1. How does the college know how much progress is being made by students with SEND? 

All our students are base line assessed on entry to college. We have systems in place for tracking progression from each students starting point. Targets are set using information from the students EHCP. These targets are shared with parents/carers and are reviewed and updated on a regular basis. There are two Progression events where parents are kept up to date with their child’s progress and annual reviews to update EHCP’s. Students’ progress is closely monitored by the Senior Leadership Team and is reported to the Board of Trustees. 

Learners follow a non-accredited curriculum which has been designed across all study programmes, to provide learners with the skills and knowledge they need to meet the outcomes of their programme and prepare them for adult life. 

  1. What extra-curricular activities can a student with Special Educational Needs access at college? 

Lunchtime activities are organised for students to participate in and time is allocated on their timetable for social interaction. 

Student’s access activities within the community such as going out for lunch, going to the cinema or theatre and have access to the local gym.  

Students also have the opportunity to experience residential and educational visits as part of the curriculum. 

  1. What training do the staff in college have in relation to students with Special Educational Needs? 

All of our teachers and support staff are trained to work with students with SEND.  Many staff are proficient in the use of Makaton and have been trained in Team Teach.  Continual Professional Development is planned throughout the academic year in Safeguarding, PREVENT and Manual Handling and Lifting. Staff are encouraged to develop their skills so that they can gain promotion or offer additional skills for our students to benefit from. 

  1. How does college get more specialist help for students if they need it? 

Within college, we have access to a team of professionals who can offer specialist advice; these include Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and the college nursing team. We work very closely with all professionals as well as parents to ensure we offer the best provision. We will also involve outside agencies as appropriate such as Forward Thinking Birmingham, Single Point of Access, Safeguarding Adults and the Police. 

  1. How are parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs involved in the education of their child? 

We aim to foster effective partnerships between home and college in all areas of our students’ development and offer several opportunities for parents and carers to come into college. Parents or carers are encouraged to attend Annual Review and EHCP transfer meetings, Progression Evenings and Parent Workshops.  Our Pastoral Leader holds regular parent support group meetings in college, keeps them informed of our RSE curriculum delivery and assists with students’ transition to Community Provision Learning.  

  1. How are Students with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education? 

Wherever possible we try to involve our students in their education by encouraging them to participate in EHCP reviews. A Student Voice Group meet regularly with the Pastoral Leader to voice their opinions or concerns about college.  Group and Individual tutorial is timetabled weekly, where students get the opportunity to voice their opinions and students meet with the Board of Trustees. 

  1. If a parent or a students with SEND has a complaint about the college, how does the Board of Trustees deal with the complaint? 

Parents and carers are encouraged to contact the college Executive Principal in the first instance, who will try to resolve things by working together. It is rare that a resolution cannot be achieved, but should this happen, then the complaint is referred to the Chair of the Board of Trustees following the colleges’ Complaints Procedure. 

  1. How does the Board of Trustees involve other people in meeting the needs of students with SEND including support for their families? 

The Board of Trustees are committed to supporting our students and their families at college and in their home environment.  The Pastoral Leader is in place to support students and their families on a day to day basis and will remain in contact with vulnerable families during time when college is closed. 

  1. Who are the support services that can help parents who have children with SEND? 

SENAR is the department within Birmingham Local Authority who manage the funding and placements of students within Specialist Further Education Colleges and SENDIASS can support parents to find the right placement for their child. 

  1. How does the college support students with SEND through Transition? 

Prospective students attend a Taster Day to help them to decide if they like the college; it also helps college staff to be certain that we can meet their needs.  A Transition Day takes place where students can meet other students who will be attending the college and get to know the college and staff.  Students with PMLD are visited in their current setting and then come into college individually to meet with teaching staff and medical teams to ensure everything is in place for them to start college.  

  1. How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer? 

Birmingham Local Offer -